Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Frida



When Naomi of Lila Jean Vintage said, "Do you want to see the Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera exhibition?" I was all over that. I love visiting the Art Gallery of NSW, and expanding my (limited) knowledge of the art world, and I love strong female artists, so, match made in heaven.

Before I get down to all the clothes here, I wanted to say I really found the exhibition not entirely what I expected... less art, more photographs and personal history. But what paintings there were I really fell in love with. I was particularly taken with a Calla Lily vendor by Diego Rivera and the way in which Frida never shied from her own image. I love her for it. I also learned some unusual things about how symbolic fruit in still life art is... thanks for that Naomi!

Of course, you knew it'd happen the minute I mentioned Frida... I had to theme my hair and capture my outfit too. One of the wonderful benefits of spending time with a fellow outfit record keeper is that we are always up for a quick outfit shoot! I wanted to choose something with a distinct style nod to dear Frida, without looking like I was going to a dress up party... I hope I succeeded. You've seen this skirt more than once, but always with black. And as I promised I'd keep re-styling classics, well, of course I had to try it with a bold, warm tone like this vintage cropped sweater. I wanted to wear some cute matching wedges, but being on our feet for hours I went for practical black flats. Yes, I've officially gotten old...

Wearing...
Deerfield Vintage 50s sweater, Violetville Vintage 50s corduroy skirt, Dinosaur Designs bangles, Art Deco celluloid earrings, Daisy Jean Florals Penelope Peony, NineWest flats.

Photos kindly by Naomi of Lila Jean Vintage

5 comments:

ModernVintageStyle said...

I adore the red and green together - just lovely! Kx

Harlow Darling said...

I really love these photos, was this in the cactus garden at the botanic gardens? I think this hairstyle is a wonderful homage to Frida Kahlo. I really enjoyed the exhibition because Frida is such an interesting figure and I enjoyed the snippets into her world that some of the videos gave. Of course more paintings would have been better, but I loved all of the ones that were on display!

Nicole said...

Such a great Frida inspired outfit- the hair and flowers is spot on!
The Artyologist

Porcelina said...

Totally channelling Frida! Lovely look. x

Lavender and Twill said...

The colour blocking looks so effective with your accessories. I don't know how you do it, but it's a perfectly chic ensemble once again! ❤

xox,
bonita of Lavender & Twill

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...